Here is information about our workshop in Spokane, Washington, July 19 through 22, 2018.
About the workshop
The Four-Day Workshop
This four-day intensive course is designed for the beginner as well as for students with varying experience in the Alexander Technique. It provides the opportunity to study with teachers trained in a variety of schools.
• 7 to 1 minimum student/faculty ratio
• Individual lessons and classes
• Small groups applying the Technique to particular areas of interest: daily activities, voice, music, theater, dance, sports
• Special activities for Alexander teachers and trainees
A Faculty on the Cutting Edge of the Developing Alexander Technique
• Body Mapping taught by its originator and a faculty deeply versed in its use in the Alexander Technique
• Application of the technique to performance: we have long experience in music, theater, and dance
• Exploring the interaction of Alexander with breathing, yoga, and energy work
Location and schedule
The course is co-sponsored by the Holy Names Music Center, and will be held at their facility on Custer Drive at the beautiful and historic Fort Wright Mukogawa Institute campus. We will assist those who need help in finding nearby accommodations. Meals are not provided; there is a wide variety of restaurants in the immediate vicinity and throughout Spokane. The Spokane airport is served by several major carriers and we will provide transportation from the airport to the course.
(Details subject to change)
7–9:30 pm: Introduction and home groups
Friday and Saturday
8:30 am: Optional early activities
9:30 am: Home groups
10:45 am: Rotating groups
2:00 pm: Private lessons
4:00 pm: Activity classes
Finished by 6 pm
8:30 am: Optional early activities
9:30 am: Rotating groups
10:45 am: Home groups
The schedule is arranged so that every participant will have plenty of opportunities to work with each of the teachers.
We're proud to introduce our remarkable faculty. We have worked together for decades. Along with solid grounding in classical Alexander work, we have unusual experience working with many different aspects of the Alexander Technique: Body Mapping, teacher training, group work, teaching in higher education, working with performance, working with people with physical and health challenges, integrating Alexander work with energy work. Here is a unique opportunity to work with a very interesting group of teachers.
Bill teaches classes at Holy Names Music Center in Spokane, WA, and maintains a vigorous private teaching practice as well. He is a teaching member of ATI and a former teaching member of AmSAT. He has taught Alexander throughout the US and in Japan, Taiwan, Switzerland, Chile, Italy, and Hungary. He recently held his second successful workshop for teachers at ACAT in New York. He is President of Alexander Workshops, LLC, and Workshop Coordinator. He is a founding member of the teacher training program IMAT.
Donna has studied the Alexander Technique since 1977 with the Conables and Marjorie Barstow. She graduated from The Alexander Foundation in 1990 and maintains an active private practice in Columbus, OH. She teaches an ongoing Alexander class for persons with Parkinson's Disease, and is on the faculty of the Alexander Workshops Winter workshop in Columbus.
Since 1990 she has studied energy healing with James Kepner, Carol DeSanto, and Rosalyn Bruyere and is certified at the Advanced Practitioner Level in Nervous System Energy Work. She teaches classes on anatomy for energy healers, and beginning techniques and skills for people interested in energy work. Her focus now is on exploring the complementary use of energy skills with the Alexander Technique to lead students to an expanded experience of the whole self. She is a teaching member of ATI.
Belinda’s private clients include professional actors, dancers, vocalists, conductors and musicians. She teaches classes at the SITI Conservatory, Tom Todoroff Studio Conservatory and The Barrow Group and for 15 years anchored BFA movement studies for CUNY/Brooklyn College Theatre Department. Her article, with colleague Teva Bjerken, “Cultivating a lively use of tension, the synergy between acting and the Alexander Technique” was published in 2012.
You may submit this filled-out form directly from this web site. All red fields are required. You may also print the form and mail it to us at 815 Villard St., Cheney, WA 99004. You may pay by check made out to Alexander Workshops, LLC, sent to the same address, or by credit card. Credit card payments may be made from this website or by special arrangement for odd amounts (contact Bill). Take me to the credit card page.
DISCOUNT TUITION (for Alexander teachers and trainees and full-time students): $495
DEPOSIT of $250 will guarantee a place in the course until July 8, when the balance is due.
REFUND POLICY: Full refunds are made up to one month before the course. In case of cancellations received after July 8, the deposit is non-refundable. There will be no refunds after the workshop begins.
You may pay by check or credit card. Checks should be made out and sent to Alexander Workshops, LLC, 815 Villard St., Cheney, WA 99004. To pay by credit card, click here. (This will take you to the same place as the link on the application form.)
For Teachers and Trainees
For Teachers and Trainees
If you're an Alexander teacher or teacher trainee, we have some extras to offer you:
• First, of course, is the 10% discount from our already-low tuition fee.
• Attendance at the course will count towards your continuing education requirements.
• Our course is organized into "home groups" and "rotating groups." The home groups are formed of people of like experience and meet together every day. We usually have one group composed of teachers and trainees: this group can concentrate its attention on teaching issues and learn about cutting-edge advances in the Technique. Bill in particular has been focussing on working with teachers in using their hands effectively.
• Bill, Donna, and Dale have spent a lot of time in recent years exploring energy work and its relationship with the Alexander Technique, and are Advanced Practitioners of Nervous System Energy Work. Donna is also trained in Reiki. We offer workshops for teachers in this field, and this is a great opportunity to find out what our discoveries have to offer you. In addition to the teachers' home group, if there's sufficient interest we'll offer a late afternoon group dedicated to this subject.
We hope to see you in July!