Here is information about our workshop in the Columbus, Ohio area, December 27 through 31, 2019.
The workshop is now full, and we can't accept any more students. You're invited to come to Spokane in the summer or check back next fall for next year's winter workshop.
About the workshop
The Five-Day Workshop
This five-day intensive course is designed for the beginner as well as for students with varying experience in the Alexander Technique. It provides the opportunity to study with teachers trained in a variety of schools.
• 7 to 1 maximum student/faculty ratio
• Individual lessons and classes
• Small groups applying the Technique to particular areas of interest: daily activities, voice, music, theater, dance, sports
• Special activities for Alexander teachers and trainees
A Faculty on the Cutting Edge of the Developing Alexander Technique
• Body Mapping taught by its originator and a faculty deeply versed in its use in the Alexander Technique
• Application of the technique to performance: we have long experience in music, theater, and dance
• Exploring the interaction of Alexander with breathing, yoga, and energy work
Location and schedule
Thomas Worthington High School Theater Department
300 West Granville Rd, Worthington, OH
Past year attendees will appreciate the free parking!
(Details subject to change)
7–9:30 pm: Introduction and home groups
8:15 am: Optional early activities (Developmental Movement and Xian Gong)
9:15 am: Home groups
10:30 am: Rotating groups
2:00 pm: Private lessons
4:00 pm: Activity classes
Finished by 6 pm
8:15 am: Optional early activities
9:15 am: Rotating groups
10:30 am: Home groups
The schedule is arranged so that every participant will have plenty of opportunities to work with each of the teachers.
Bill teaches classes at Holy Names Music Center in Spokane, WA, and maintains a vigorous private teaching practice as well. He is a teaching member of ATI and a former teaching member of AmSAT. He has taught Alexander throughout the US and in Japan, Taiwan, Switzerland, Chile, Italy, and Hungary. He recently held his second successful workshop for teachers at ACAT in New York. He is President of Alexander Workshops, LLC, and Workshop Coordinator. He is a co-director of the teacher training program IMAT.
Donna has studied the Alexander Technique since 1977 with the Conables and Marjorie Barstow. She graduated from The Alexander Foundation in 1990 and maintains an active private practice in Columbus, OH. She teaches an ongoing Alexander class for persons with Parkinson's Disease, and is on the faculty of the Alexander Workshops Winter workshop in Columbus.
Since 1990 she has studied energy healing with James Kepner, Carol DeSanto, and Rosalyn Bruyere and is certified at the Advanced Practitioner Level in Nervous System Energy Work. She teaches classes on anatomy for energy healers, and beginning techniques and skills for people interested in energy work. Her focus now is on exploring the complementary use of energy skills with the Alexander Technique to lead students to an expanded experience of the whole self. She is a teaching member of ATI.
TUITION ONLY: $595. Full-time students and professional Alexander teachers receive a 10% discount to $535.50. Alexander teacher trainees receive a 15% discount to $506. Increased costs have necessitated the first fee increase in five years; however, since parking at the new venue is free, many of you may even come out a little ahead!
DEPOSIT of $250 will guarantee a place in the course until December 5, when the balance is due.
REFUND POLICY: Full refunds are made up to one month before the course. In case of cancellations received after December 5, the deposit is non-refundable. There will be no refunds after the workshop begins.
For Teachers and Trainees
For Teachers and Trainees
If you're an Alexander teacher or teacher trainee, we have some extras to offer you:
• First, of course, is the 10% discount from our already-low tuition fee for teachers, and for the first time, 15% for trainees.
• Attendance at the course will count towards your continuing education requirements.
• Our course is organized into "home groups" and "rotating groups." The home groups are formed of people of like experience and meet together every day. We usually have one group composed of teachers and trainees: this group can concentrate its attention on teaching issues and learn about cutting-edge advances in the Technique. Bill in particular has been focussing on working with teachers in using their hands effectively.
• Bill, Donna, and Dale have spent a lot of time in recent years exploring energy work and its relationship with the Alexander Technique, and are Advanced Practitioners of Nervous System Energy Work. Donna is also trained in Reiki. We offer workshops for teachers in this field, and this is a great opportunity to find out what our discoveries have to offer you. In addition to the teachers' home group, if there's sufficient interest we'll offer a late afternoon group dedicated to this subject.
We hope to see you in December!