Here is information about our summer workshop, July 28 through 30, 2023.
Moving forward with our experiments in combining distance and face-to-face workshops, this year we will be combining the two: the whole workshop will occur both at Holy Names Music Center in Spokane, WA and online on the Zoom platform. All the group classes will include both types of students. All students will work with each teacher, both in classes and in private lessons.
Our online classes over the past five years have been surprisingly successful. We have now had some experience combining online and in-person classes in other contexts and look forward to the opportunity offered to join the two in order to include people for whom travel to Spokane is impractical as well as the chance to see many of our dear students face-to-face.
About the workshop
The Three-Day Workshop
This three-day intensive course is designed for the beginner as well as for students with varying experience in the Alexander Technique. It provides the opportunity to study with teachers trained in a variety of schools.
• 7 to 1 minimum student/faculty ratio
• Individual lessons and classes
• Small groups applying the Technique to particular areas of interest: daily activities, voice, music, theater, dance, sports
• Special activities for Alexander teachers and trainees
A Faculty on the Cutting Edge of the Developing Alexander Technique
• Body Mapping taught by its originator and a faculty deeply versed in its use in the Alexander Technique
• Application of the technique to performance: we have long experience in music, theater, and dance
• Exploring the interaction of Alexander with breathing and energy work
Location and schedule
The whole workshop will take place between 9 am and 4:30 pm PDT with a break for lunch. The address of HNMC is 3910 W. Custer Dr., Spokane, WA 99224.
Drawing from our experience doing online workshops over the past several years, morning classes will include all students and all teachers. In the afternoon, after a whole-group exploration of lying-down work, the medicine wheel, or breathing, the main group will work together on various activities while individuals will go to break-out rooms or classrooms for private lessons.
In-person students will have private lessons in classrooms, while online students will have private lessons in Zoom break-out rooms.
Final details of the schedule will be decided once we have an idea of attendance.
Bill teaches classes at Holy Names Music Center in Spokane, WA, and maintains a vigorous private teaching practice as well. He is a teaching member and Treasurer of ATI and a former teaching member of AmSAT. He has taught Alexander throughout the US and in Japan, Taiwan, Switzerland, Chile, Italy, and Hungary. He is President of Alexander Workshops, LLC, and Workshop Coordinator. He is a founding member of the teacher training program IMAT.
Donna has studied the Alexander Technique since 1977 with the Conables and Marjorie Barstow. She graduated from The Alexander Foundation in 1990. She taught an ongoing Alexander class for persons with Parkinson's Disease from 1995 until 2019, and is on the faculty of the Alexander Workshops Winter workshop in Columbus.
Since 1990 she has studied energy healing with James Kepner, Carol DeSanto, and Rosalyn Bruyere and is certified at the Advanced Practitioner Level in Nervous System Energy Work. She teaches classes on anatomy for energy healers, and beginning techniques and skills for people interested in energy work. Her focus now is on exploring the complementary use of energy skills with the Alexander Technique to lead students to an expanded experience of the whole self. She is a teaching member of ATI.
Tuition for either option is $500. (Please note that this is less than our last pre-pandemic summer workshop).
DEPOSIT of $50 will guarantee a place in the course until July 9, when the balance is due.
REFUND POLICY: Full refunds are made up to two weeks before the course. In case of cancellations received after July 9, the deposit is non-refundable. There will be no refunds after the workshop begins.
You may pay by check or credit card. Checks should be made out and sent to Alexander Workshops, LLC, 815 Villard St., Cheney, WA 99004. You may pay by credit card through PayPal. On your browser, go to PayPal.me/alexanderworkshops. That'll make everything easy, and you can set the amount of your payment right there.
For Teachers and Trainees
If you're an Alexander teacher or teacher trainee, we have some extras to offer you:
• Attendance at the course will count towards your continuing education requirements.
• Our course is organized into "home groups" and "rotating groups." The home groups are formed of people of like experience and meet together every day. We usually have one group composed of teachers and trainees: this group can concentrate its attention on teaching issues and learn about cutting-edge advances in the Technique.
• All of us have spent a lot of time in recent years exploring energy work and its relationship with the Alexander Technique, and most are Advanced Practitioners of Nervous System Energy Work. Donna is also trained in Reiki. We offer workshops for teachers in this field, and this is a great opportunity to find out what our discoveries have to offer you.
We hope to see you in July!